2014-02-10

Getting ready to build new computer + CNY visit to neighbour aunty

Didn't want to talk so much with HL after yesterday night's incident at Whatsapp. Felt she had cross over the boundary line liao.

Morning did a little read up on how to build computer. There is another option - buy a fully assembled one from reputable computer manufacturers. It sounds so much more hassle-free. The problem is that they tend to use customised parts for the assembly and it's a bit difficult to replace if the part fails. And it's more expensive, pay more for the assembly cost. So I would avoid this option.

Another thing is that I would want my old LG monitor to continue function in my house. It's actually a good monitor with nice, quite accurate colours. The comparison was so huge when placed side-by-side with sis's laptop - the screen on the laptop was horrendous. When viewing human pictures, the cold colours made the skin lifeless but it isn't the case when viewed on the LG. Only downside is that it's TN panel and CCFL backlight consume more electricity than the nowadays ever popular LEDs now. So without the CPU, I need to get another one to complete it lo.

The mindset I have now is that every EEE student should know how to build a computer ba, though it might not be related directly to EEE. I didn't have any chance to build one since university days. The current one was assembled by GYS. Given that his relationship with us turned sour since June 2010, it's not nice to go approach him for this help again. That's why I want to use this opportunity to learn it now.

It turns out that it's quite easy to build one. Furthermore, the cabling are now more or less standardised. No matter how many HDD/ODD devices are there, only need to use the SATA cable to connect to the motherboard, no need to take the order or device type into account.
Another good news learnt when last time added in one SSD and replaced my 500 GB HDD with a 2 TB one into my computer is that there is no need to set master/slave when there are two or more HDD le, it's the case during IDE era. But nowadays, with SATA being the standard, it's really that easy now. WQHDW :)

Now I want to build a new one which is very similar to my desktop now - no need super high end specs but need to be super reliable so that it can last for a long long time.

Went HWZ to look for some of the recommendations for building such computer. These were what I got:

1. Asrock H81M-DGS + Intel G3220
2. Adata 4GB 1600 MHz
3. WD Blue 1 TB
4. CM 311 + FSP Hexa 500 W
5. Samsung ODD

Recommended place to buy: Tradepac @ SLS

Sis complained that the razer mouse was a bit not sensitive liao, I agree with this too. So I added two more components in:

6. Windows 7 64-bit
7. Logitech M100 mouse (the one I'm using now, quite good ds)

Need to buy and set up everything before I start work. Shall end off this topic for now.

On the other hand, 姑婆 came to stay for a few days.

Just now went neighbour aunty house for CNY visit. Lots of food there with the 魚片 bought in Taiwan received praises from us. It's really nice! Too bad phone was charging so didn't have a chance to take pictures. The 鐵蛋 was a bit weird though and texture is similar to 皮蛋。拜託⋯⋯

Luckily I got a job now, so no need to afraid 被人家講! Yay! This year the topic of conversation has been changed from studies to job/careers... Haiz, it's something which is inevitable and have to endure.

Happened to come across this song on 933. Quite nice ds.

No comments: